What is a Urogynecologist?

A urogynecologist is a physician who a BOARD CERTIFIED obstetrician & gynecologist, who also completed a fellowship in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. The fellowship consists of additional training focusing on advanced treatment options including both surgical and non-surgical therapies used to treat problems with the pelvic floor.

This comprehensive training allows a urogynecologist to be well-versed in caring for women with a broad range of problems, including but not limited to urinary incontinence (leakage when you cough, exercise, have sex, move around, etc.) and pelvic organ prolapse (dropping of the bladder, bowels or uterus through the vagina). A urogynecologist is also considered to be an expert for all types of benign gynecologic surgeries.

A urogynecologist specialized at treating women with the following conditions:

  • Urinary Incontinence/Frequency
  • Incomplete Bladder Emptying
  • Prolapse
  • Recurrent UTI
  • Blood in the Urine
  • Painful sexual intercourse
  • Constipation/Bowel Disorders
Go to top